There are so many delicious varieties and this is an easy plant to grow here at OVF. These simple steps will yield a successful crop.
- Plant only one variety. Do not mix varieties because they will cross pollinate and the ears will be stunted and create a black fungus on the end of the ear.
- Plant in rows on flat ground, spacing as directed on the seed package. Use NEW seeds.
- Soak seeds for 24 hours or at least overnight before putting them into the ground.
- Be considerate of your neighbors and do not shade their plot. Corn grows to a height of 6 to 12 feet depending on the variety. Leave enough room at your borders to prevent shading.
- Water seeds every other day after they are planted to insure germination.
- When stalks reach a height of 10 to 12 inches, dig a furrow between the rows piling the soil up against the stalks on both sides. This will provide a watering ditch and support the stalks when the wind blows.
- Put manure in the ditch to feed the roots. Water every three days by filling the ditch. You will get two ears per stalk and you can harvest them when the silks turn brown and are dusty when you touch them.