Making cut flowers last longer:
- Cut flowers early in the morning.
- Cut stems at a slant. Use a pair of sharp scissors, not pruning clippers.
- Immediately after cutting put stems in a bucket of water.
- Once you have brought the cut flowers indoors, strip away foliage on the part of the stem that will be underwater in your display vase.
- Recut stems UNDER WATER. Remember to cut at an angle again.
- Immediately after recutting stems, transfer to vase. Water should be halfway up stems. Some flowers rot quickly. change water often. Commercial preservatives work well. Adding a few copper pennies to a vase of tulips will help them stand erect and not droop, and will prolong their vase life.