March 2017 E-Newsletter
Spotted around the garden:
Featured Instagram Photo of the Month: The various stages of a lettuce plant bolting
Spring is just around the corner and with it brings longer days, warmer weather, less rain (maybe), more weeds, bigger harvests and of course, the return of little league baseball. Check out all our OVF garden updates in the newsletter below.
Upcoming Garden Events:
Mar. 11 - Saturday Workday - 9:00 AM - Noon
Mar. 18 - Board Meeting - 9:30 AM
Mar. 26 - Sunday Workday - 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Apr. 1 & 2 - Tomato-Bration - 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- Here are some general tips for gardening in March. The warmer, drier March is such an inspiring time to garden! It’s also a great time to start your summer crops indoors for transplant in late April to early May.
- Speaking of summer plants, did we mention that Tomato-bration will be returning to the garden April 1st and 2nd? Okay, you got us, we already mentioned it last month. Can you tell we’ve got tomatoes on the brain?
- If we get a warm spell this month, you might find some of your winter plants starting to bolt. Sure, you could just yank them, but you can also read these useful tips on saving plant seeds. P.S. these tips work for a lot of ornamental flowers as well.
- The Grow LA Victory Garden Classes are back for the spring. This is a very reasonable way get some hands on gardening instruction. The nearest class to the garden is at Venice High School. Advanced registration is required.
How Can We Make OVF a Better Place?
We want to hear from you. Please take a moment to complete this short member survey and help our community garden grow!
Watch Your Windows!
Little League opening day was last Sunday, February 26! So for the next four months…
- Watch for children running between parked cars
- Be careful where you are parking (baseballs and windshields don’t always get along. This is particularly important for those that park on the paved parking area.
- There are gates near the center of the garden at the bottom of phase 2 and on either side of the main driveway, for those that wish to park on Centinela.
Tomato-bration Volunteers Needed
This is one of the most fun volunteer opportunities of the year. We need help on both Saturday and Sunday. Contact Andy Morris if you are interested in volunteering.
Upcoming OVF Elections
The positions that are up for election during the April general meeting are:
Independent Project Monitor
All Upper Phase Representatives
If you are interested in running, please contact the Election Coordinator Nora Dvosin
As you know, the memorial service for OVF Founder George Dodds was last month. Thank you to everyone who took a moment to write a note to his friend Vincent about what the garden means to you. Here is a note of thanks from Vincent:
“I have been joyfully overwhelmed with the number of people at Ocean View Farms who responded. Rather than replying to them all, please pass along my gratitude.”
That’s all for now. Happy gardening!