September 2016 E-Newsletter
Based off the survey results from the newsletter, it sounds like many of you are interested in learning a little bit more about gardening. We’re going to try sending periodic email updates with educational content, garden news, important dates and other topics of interest. Let us know what you think!
With kids heading back to school and Labor Day fast approaching, you can almost feel the summer beginning to wind down. The days are getting shorter - faster. Every day we lose about 2 minutes of daylight. By now many of your summer crops have probably peaked and and, though hard to believe, it’s time to getting ready for some cool season crops.
- Here are some great tips for gardening in September.
- Speaking of changing seasons, here is a video showing you how to prep your soil for the fall garden.
- How’d your tomato crops do this summer? Did you have any tomato woes? Here are six common tomato problems (and solutions).
- Have a gardening question? Remember, you can always #ASKOVF. Send us an email, reach out on Facebook, or tag us on Instagram @oceanviewfarms (new!)
Help Wanted: Gate Closing
There are still a few weeks of gate closing duty available later this year. Check the Gate Closing Sign-in sheets that are posted in the main shed. Members may sign up for a maximum of two weeks of gate closing duties each year. Eight (8) community service hours will be earned for successfully completing one week of gate close duty. Visit the OVF website to learn more.
Looking for an Associate?
We have a number of candidates on the membership wait list who would like to be associates while waiting for a plot of their own. These candidates would not be short-term associates as they have a number of years remaining on the wait list. Associates will be paired with existing gardeners through the Associate Matching Program. As with any Associate/Member agreement, all of the current Rules and Regulations apply. If you are interested or have any questions, please contact Membership Coordinator - Carrie Manaugh.
Upcoming garden events:
- Aug. 28 - Sunday Workday - 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM
- Sept. 10 - Saturday Workday - 9:00 AM - NOON
- Sept. 17 - Board Meeting
- Sept. 25 - Sunday Workday - 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM
That’s all for now. Happy gardening!